Govt probes drug resistant TB cases in Mumbai
New Delhi: With a Mumbai hospital reporting the first case of total drug resistant (TDR) tuberculosis (TB) in the country, the health ministry Tuesday sent a team to Mumbai to ascertain facts about the new development.
The central team comprising senior chief medical officer, Central TB Division (CTD), consultant (Drug Resistant TB), CTD, and national programme officer (Laboratory) are in touch with the health authorities of Maharashtra, said a health ministry official.
Experts from WHO-India reached Mumbai on Monday and started an analysis of the situation. The team is also involving experts from concerned stake holders including Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai.
The P.D. Hinduja hospital detected four people with total drug resistant (TDR) tuberculosis (TB) till November last year. In the last two months, eight others have been detected with TDR-TB.
According to the health ministry, the Hinduja Hospital Laboratory is not accredited to the central government`s Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme for diagnosis of Extensively Drug-Resistant (XDR)/Totally Drug Resistant (TDR) cases.
"It is only accredited for conducting Drug Susceptibility Testing (DST) by liquid culture and sensitivity for first-line drug only," an official said.
The Revised National TB Control Programme ((RNTCP) has accredited only three labs for conducting quality-assured second-line anti-TB drug susceptibility testing. These labs are National TB Institute (NTI), Bangalore, LRS Institute of TB and Chest Disease, New Delhi, and National Institute of Research in Tuberculosis, Chennai.
"The term TDR-TB is neither recognised by the WHO nor by RNTCP. For now, these cases are defined as Extensively Drug Resistant Tuberculosis (XDR-TB), according to WHO definitions, and accordingly can be managed by national XDR-TB treatment guidelines," the official said.
The preliminary results of second-line drug susceptibility testing for MDR-TB patients from DOTS (Directly Observed Treatment Short) and the samples collected from Gujarat and Maharashtra drug resistance survey show that there is no new cases of XDR-TB and 0.5 percent are among re-treatment cases, added the official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA