Gutkha, pan masala ban comes into effect in Maharashtra
Mumbai: The ban on gutkha and pan masala across Maharashtra came into effect from Friday.
The state government today issued a notification banning sale and consumption of gutkha and paan masala in the state. It will be valid for a year, after which it will be extended for another 12 months.
The state cabinet had decided on the ban last week. Figures show that gutkha was one of the major reasons for oral diseases such as cancer. The sale of gutkha in the state is estimated to be around Rs 300 crore a month and the government earns more than Rs 100 crore in taxes on it every year.
The state had attempted to ban gutkha in 2002 and then in 2008, but encountered several legal hurdles. The new Food Safety and Standards Act (FSSA), which was passed last year, will facilitate the ban this time.
In 2010, the state banned the sale of gutkha and cigarettes within 100 metres of schools and colleges.
The move to ban gutkha gained momentum after deputy chief minister and senior NCP leader Ajit Pawar announced it at a public forum last month. Pawar said the state would lose Rs 100 crore in tax from gutkha and paan masala but would not compromise on public health.
States such as Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Goa and Bihar have already banned the sale of gutkha.
Maharashtra is among the highest users of tobacco in the country, with 43 per cent adult men and 19 per cent adult women addicted to it, as per the Global Adult Tobacco Survey released last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’