41% of Japanese women have had miscarriages: Survey
Tokyo: Over 40 percent of Japanese women
who have gone through pregnancy have experienced miscarriages,
a government survey showed on Sunday.
The survey conducted by a health ministry research group
also said around 80,000 women a year are believed to be
diagnosed as having had repeat miscarriages or stillbirths,
and end up not having children.
"We have found that miscarriages happen more frequently
than people assume," said Mayumi Sugiura, professor at
Nagoya City University who was involved in the research under
Sugiura also said that women who have repeatedly
experienced miscarriages or stillbirths can still have
children if they undergo the appropriate treatment, and urged
them to be examined to determine the cause of the problem.
The group conducted the survey on women aged 35 to 79,
who underwent health checkups in Okazaki, Aichi Prefecture,
during a one-year period from February 2007.
Of the 503 respondents, 458 had experienced pregnancy,
of whom 190, or 41.5 percent, had suffered miscarriages.
Based on the survey outcome and other data, the group
estimated that around 79,000 women are believed to experience
repeat miscarriages or stillbirths annually.
Most miscarriages are caused by chromosomal abnormality
in the fetus, a natural phenomenon that occurs at a uniform
rate, so it is likely that a woman could have a baby with her
next pregnancy, according to Sugiura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi