Alert for women who had breast implants

Last Updated: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 22:47

London: Thousands of women could be at risk after it emerged that the breast implants made with industrial silicone used in beds had a very high rupture rate, a media report said Wednesday.

Makers Poly Implant Prosthesis, of southern France, were shut down last year following the high rupture rate.

Instead of lasting the usual 10 years, 10 percent of its implants were likely to split within a year, the Daily Express reports.

French authorities have told women to have the implants removed - but 50,000 British women may also have them.

The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons has only advised women to have regular scans.

Damaged implants can be removed on the NHS (National Health Service) but not replaced, leaving women with a bill running into thousands of pounds.

Britain`s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency said it had found "insufficient evidence" to link the implants to cancer.

The British Association for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons also said the French action was "a precautionary measure".

The French move follows the death of Edwige Ligoneche, 53, from cancer earlier this year. France`s director general for health, Jean-Yves Grall said she was one of nine cancer cases reported so far, according to the newspaper.

IANS



First Published: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 22:47

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus