Alert for women who had breast implants
London: Thousands of women could be at risk after it emerged that the breast implants made with industrial silicone used in beds had a very high rupture rate, a media report said Wednesday.
Makers Poly Implant Prosthesis, of southern France, were shut down last year following the high rupture rate.
Instead of lasting the usual 10 years, 10 percent of its implants were likely to split within a year, the Daily Express reports.
French authorities have told women to have the implants removed - but 50,000 British women may also have them.
The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons has only advised women to have regular scans.
Damaged implants can be removed on the NHS (National Health Service) but not replaced, leaving women with a bill running into thousands of pounds.
Britain`s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency said it had found "insufficient evidence" to link the implants to cancer.
The British Association for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons also said the French action was "a precautionary measure".
The French move follows the death of Edwige Ligoneche, 53, from cancer earlier this year. France`s director general for health, Jean-Yves Grall said she was one of nine cancer cases reported so far, according to the newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks