Antiperspirants could be making you smell worse: study
Washington: Antiperspirants can alter your armpit bacteria and actually make you smell worse, a new study has found.
Researchers at the University of Ghent in Belgium asked eight test subjects to stop using deodorant or antiperspirant for a month.
Another subject who did not regularly use either was asked to use deodorant for a month. The timeframe was selected because it takes around 28 days for a new layer of skin cells to form.
The armpit bacterial community of each subject was tested at the start and the end of the month, and the results showed that each armpit ecosystem had been altered, 'Science Alert' reported.
Researchers found that antiperspirant use was linked to an increase in Actinobacteria, the 'bad' type of armpit bacteria that instigate noxious armpit odour.
Lead author Chris Callewaert told 'Real Clear Science' that the aluminium compounds in antiperspirants, which can block pores to prevent sweating, may be to blame, by killing off "good" bacteria and allowing Actinobacteria to dominate.
The study found that deodorants which lack these sweat-blocking antiperspirant compounds are actually linked to a slight decrease of stinky Actinobacteria.
The results were published in the journal Archives of Dermatological Research.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata