Be aware of calories from soft drinks during meals
London: Did you ever count calories from the soft drink you usually order along with the dinner? Now is the time to factor those in.
New research indicates that meals that include a calorific drink are expected to be more satiating than those served with water.
"Our work adds important context to a broader ongoing debate about the dangers of liquid calories," said professor Jeff Brunstrom from University of Bristol's School of Experimental Psychology.
The researchers looked at whether people factor in liquid calories when they estimate the satiating effect of a meal.
Participants completed a computer-based task that assessed the expected satiation of meals that included either a calorific drink, a non-calorific drink or a snack with the same energy content as the calorific drink.
The researchers also explored the contribution of carbonation on expected fullness.
Meals served with a calorific drink were not considered to be any less filling than the same meals served instead with a snack.
However, both the snack and the calorific drink caused only a small increase in expected satiation.
"Calories in soft drinks and calories in snack foods have a small but comparable effect on the expected satiation of meals," Brunstrom noted.
The research was scheduled to be presented at the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior Conference (SSIB 2014) in Seattle, USA this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened