Beware! Pain killers could spike your BP
Tel Aviv: Beware of painkillers - they could be spiking your blood pressure (BP) levels even without doctors suspecting the actual cause, a study reveals.
Many common over-the-counter medications are underlying causes of hypertension, a major risk factor for stroke, heart attack, and aneurisms, said Ehud Grossman, professor of medicine at the Tel Aviv University`s Sackler Faculty of Medicine.
Such drugs include contraceptive pills, various anti-depressants, anti-inflammatory pills to control pain and bacterial antibiotics, added Grossman, the American Journal of Medicine reported.
Though high BP is a known side-effect of many of these drugs, doctors do not always account for them in their treatment plans, and they don`t inform patients of their potential risks, according to a university statement.
While many medications can cause hypertension (high BP), both patients and doctors remain dangerously uninformed, "In diagnosing the causes of hypertension, over-the-counter drugs like ibuprofen are often overlooked," said Grossman.
Patients often assume that because a medication can be obtained without a prescription, it`s relatively harmless. But that`s not always the case, concluded Grossman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters