Blame calcium if you find food tasteless
Washington: A new study has shown that calcium plays a vital role in tickling our taste buds.
The team from Japanese researchers have shown that calcium channels on the tongue are the targets of compounds that can enhance taste.
Kokumi taste foods contain various compounds that have no taste themselves, but can enhance the basic sweet, salty and umami taste sensation they co-exist with.
Lead researcher Yuzuru Eto examined whether calcium channels –which sense and regulate the levels of calcium in the body— might be the mechanism involved.
They found that calcium channels are closely related to the receptors that sense sweet and umami (savory) tastes and that glutathione (a common kokumi taste element) is known to interact with calcium channels.
During the study, researchers created several small molecules that resembled glutathione and analysed how well these compounds activated calcium channels in cell samples.
They diluted the same test substances in flavoured water (salt water, sugar water, etc.) and asked volunteers (all trained in discriminating tastes) to rate how strong the flavours were.
The findings revealed that the molecules induced the largest activity in calcium receptors and also elicited the strongest flavour enhancement in the taste tests.
The research tested several other known calcium channel activators, including calcium, and found all exhibited some degree of flavour enhancement, while a synthetic calcium channel blocker could suppress flavours.
The study appears in JBC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city