Blood test to determine if people are suicidal
Melbourne: Australian scientists will team up with Swedish researchers to develop a blood test that could give results in 24 to 48 hours to doctors to determine if people are suicidal.
Gilles Guilemin from University of New South Wales (UNSW) and his team, who are said to be world leaders on the chemical, had previously demonstrated `quinolinic` acid is involved in several brain diseases, including Alzheimer`s disease, autism and schizophrenia, AAP news agency report said today.
"We now know the mechanism and the molecule involved, so we have to find a simple way of testing it," Guillemin said adding "We think it will take about 12 months to develop a test that could give doctors results in 24 to 48 hours."
"It was said that till date the focus for depression has been on the neurotransmitter serotonin but it has been discovered that severely depressed people have high levels of another neurotransmitter, a chemical called quinolinic acid," he said.
The Australian team has been asked to help a Swedish team which has found that the chemical "was significantly higher in suicide attempters than in healthy controls".
It is being hoped that doctors in future will be able to stop the production of quinolinic acid by using specific enzyme inhibitors to block its production.
The anaesthetic ketamine has been shown to block the receptor used by quinolinic acid and other molecules involved in depression, but there is no practical way of using it at present, the report said.
The working on a study has been aimed for doctors to be able to use the blood results to complement other diagnostic work and it is hoped that such a research will also help with the development of a new generation of anti-depressants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range