Cuba to start clinical trials of pneumonia vaccine
Havana: Cuba will begin this year clinical trials of a new pneumonia vaccine developed by the island nation`s biotech industry, the official daily Granma said.
The vaccine was developed by scientists at Havana`s Finlay Institute and the Center for Biomolecular Chemistry, Finlay Director Concepcion Campa was quoted as saying by Granma.
Campa is participating in the 16th International Seminar of the Caribbean Medical Association, which began Wednesday in Havana and gathered 200 specialists from various countries.
Campa gave a lecture on the impact on national public health of the more than 10 vaccines manufactured on the island, reported Xinhua.
She headed the scientific team that created the "first and only effective vaccine in the world against meningococcal group B" (vaccine VA-MENGOC-BC), according to the Cuban medical authorities.
Among the vaccines Cuba produces are one against hepatitis "B", the first therapeutic vaccine to prevent lung cancer, and a pentavalent against diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, hepatitis "B" and the bacterium Haemophilus influenzae type B.
Cuba`s biotech industry represents one of the country`s main revenue sources, marketing about 38 medications in 40 countries.
According to official data, in 2008, the industry registered profits exceeding $350 million, representing some 10 percent of the country`s total annual exports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened