Culprit behind severe allergic asthma discovered
London: Researchers from Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center have identified the key culprit behind severe asthma-like symptoms in mice.
The disease can be triggered in susceptible people by a variety of environmental contaminants – such as cigarette smoke, allergens and airborne pollution.
Dr. Marsha Wills-Karp and her colleagues have identified the pro-inflammatory protein, interleukin-17 (IL-17A), as the molecular tipping point that upsets a delicate balance between underlying mild disease and more severe asthma, reports Nature.
Airway exposure to environmental allergens causes dysfunctional regulation of a gene called complement factor 3 (C3). This leads to overzealous production of IL-17A by airway cells and sets off what the scientists describe as an "amplification loop," when IL-17A in turn induces more C3 production at the airway surface.
The amplification loop perpetuates increasing inflammatory responses as well as airway hyper-responsiveness and airflow obstruction.
As the team continues their research, they will study the relationship between C3 and IL-17A in severe asthmatics, and explore the effectiveness of targeting either the C3 or IL-17A pathways for the treatment of severe asthma.
The study is published in the latest Nature Immunology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’