Dishwashers can cause lung infections
New York: A dishwasher can be a hotspot for harbouring harmful fungi like black yeasts, which can cause lung infections, according to a research.
Turkish researchers said that dishwashers with their moist, warm environment are a `major indoor niche` for harmful fungal pathogens, the New York Daily News reported.
For their study, the researchers went to 177 homes and picked about 900 samples from the dishwashers, washing machines, refrigerators, bathtubs, bathroom walls and showerheads.
They found that about 33 percent of the samples tested positive for fungi, with the common one being Exophiala dermatitidis and phaeomuriformis, two types of black yeast, and dishwashers the most likely location where they were breeding.
The new study has been published in the journal Medical Mycology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption