Dishwashers can cause lung infections
New York: A dishwasher can be a hotspot for harbouring harmful fungi like black yeasts, which can cause lung infections, according to a research.
Turkish researchers said that dishwashers with their moist, warm environment are a `major indoor niche` for harmful fungal pathogens, the New York Daily News reported.
For their study, the researchers went to 177 homes and picked about 900 samples from the dishwashers, washing machines, refrigerators, bathtubs, bathroom walls and showerheads.
They found that about 33 percent of the samples tested positive for fungi, with the common one being Exophiala dermatitidis and phaeomuriformis, two types of black yeast, and dishwashers the most likely location where they were breeding.
The new study has been published in the journal Medical Mycology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?