Dishwashers can cause lung infections
New York: A dishwasher can be a hotspot for harbouring harmful fungi like black yeasts, which can cause lung infections, according to a research.
Turkish researchers said that dishwashers with their moist, warm environment are a `major indoor niche` for harmful fungal pathogens, the New York Daily News reported.
For their study, the researchers went to 177 homes and picked about 900 samples from the dishwashers, washing machines, refrigerators, bathtubs, bathroom walls and showerheads.
They found that about 33 percent of the samples tested positive for fungi, with the common one being Exophiala dermatitidis and phaeomuriformis, two types of black yeast, and dishwashers the most likely location where they were breeding.
The new study has been published in the journal Medical Mycology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IN PICS: Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters brutally thrash this man in Patna - Know why
- Good news! India win one silver, two bronze in Archery World Cup
- Yuvraj Singh drops big hint about film on his life – Here's what the star batsman said...
- Indian Premier League 9: After struggling for years, Delhi Daredevils find rhythm under Rahul Dravid's watchful eyes
- WATCH: SHOCKING! Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters mercilessly beat up man for showing black flag