Dishwashers can cause lung infections
New York: A dishwasher can be a hotspot for harbouring harmful fungi like black yeasts, which can cause lung infections, according to a research.
Turkish researchers said that dishwashers with their moist, warm environment are a `major indoor niche` for harmful fungal pathogens, the New York Daily News reported.
For their study, the researchers went to 177 homes and picked about 900 samples from the dishwashers, washing machines, refrigerators, bathtubs, bathroom walls and showerheads.
They found that about 33 percent of the samples tested positive for fungi, with the common one being Exophiala dermatitidis and phaeomuriformis, two types of black yeast, and dishwashers the most likely location where they were breeding.
The new study has been published in the journal Medical Mycology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video