District hospitals to become medical colleges: Harsh Vardhan
New Delhi: The government has taken steps to improve manpower in health care sector including upgrading district hospitals into medical colleges, Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said here Friday.
The minister said that the central government provides financial assistance to state governments to strengthen their health care system.
No minimum standards have been laid down regarding facilities to be provided at district hospitals as health is a state subject," Harsh Vardhan added.
He also said there is no specific scheme under the National Health Mission for strengthening and upgrading existing district hospitals.
He said 200-bedded district hospitals will be upgraded to medical colleges if there are none in the area.
The existing medical colleges will be upgraded to the level of super-speciality hospitals. It will help increase the number of medicare personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues