District hospitals to become medical colleges: Harsh Vardhan
New Delhi: The government has taken steps to improve manpower in health care sector including upgrading district hospitals into medical colleges, Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said here Friday.
The minister said that the central government provides financial assistance to state governments to strengthen their health care system.
No minimum standards have been laid down regarding facilities to be provided at district hospitals as health is a state subject," Harsh Vardhan added.
He also said there is no specific scheme under the National Health Mission for strengthening and upgrading existing district hospitals.
He said 200-bedded district hospitals will be upgraded to medical colleges if there are none in the area.
The existing medical colleges will be upgraded to the level of super-speciality hospitals. It will help increase the number of medicare personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Wriddhiman Saha, Ravichandran Ashwin biggest positives in this series: Virat Kohli
- Can't yet verify if wedding bomber was child or linked to Islamic State: Turkish PM
- Donald Trump denies 'flip flopping' on immigration
- Govt plans to launch PM research fellowships for IIT graduates from next academic year
- Guwahati to host 2016 Indian Super League season opener