Doctors `freeze` baby to save his life
London: In a pioneering treatment, UK doctors have given a new lease of life to a baby suffering from a fatal heart condition by `freezing` his body for four days.
Edward Ives was born with a condition called supra ventricular tachycardia (SVT), which causes the heart to race dangerously fast with just a five per cent chance of survival.
The baby survived, thanks to the `miraculous` treatment at University College London Hospital, in which doctors dropped his core temperature by almost four degrees Centigrade, `The Telegraph` reported.
Edward`s heart was pumping at over 300 beats per minute at the time of his birth last August, double the normal rate of 160.
Doctors wrapped the boy in a blanket of cold gel which dropped his temperature from 37 to 33.3 degree C, to slow his metabolism, to prevent damage to vital organs such as the brain.
After two days they slowly raised his temperature - but his heart rate rose again so they chilled him for a further two days.
"It was horrible to see him lying there freezing in nothing but a nappy. He was heavily sedated so didn`t move much, and he was cold to touch - it looked like he was dead, said his mother Claire Ives.
"All I wanted to do was scoop him up and give him a warm cuddle. I just had to keep reminding myself that it was saving his life," she said.
During his treatment, Edward also received shocks from a defibrillator five times, to return his heart from a potentially fatal rhythm to a safer one.
On the fourth day, his heart started slowing to more normal levels, after which the medics slowly increased the temperature by one degree every 24 hours.
"As soon as his heart started beating normally everything began to improve. He had been really puffy because his kidneys weren`t working, but all of a sudden he looked like a normal baby again," Ives said.
A month later Ives and her husband Phillip were finally allowed to take him home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon