Doctors `freeze` baby to save his life
London: In a pioneering treatment, UK doctors have given a new lease of life to a baby suffering from a fatal heart condition by `freezing` his body for four days.
Edward Ives was born with a condition called supra ventricular tachycardia (SVT), which causes the heart to race dangerously fast with just a five per cent chance of survival.
The baby survived, thanks to the `miraculous` treatment at University College London Hospital, in which doctors dropped his core temperature by almost four degrees Centigrade, `The Telegraph` reported.
Edward`s heart was pumping at over 300 beats per minute at the time of his birth last August, double the normal rate of 160.
Doctors wrapped the boy in a blanket of cold gel which dropped his temperature from 37 to 33.3 degree C, to slow his metabolism, to prevent damage to vital organs such as the brain.
After two days they slowly raised his temperature - but his heart rate rose again so they chilled him for a further two days.
"It was horrible to see him lying there freezing in nothing but a nappy. He was heavily sedated so didn`t move much, and he was cold to touch - it looked like he was dead, said his mother Claire Ives.
"All I wanted to do was scoop him up and give him a warm cuddle. I just had to keep reminding myself that it was saving his life," she said.
During his treatment, Edward also received shocks from a defibrillator five times, to return his heart from a potentially fatal rhythm to a safer one.
On the fourth day, his heart started slowing to more normal levels, after which the medics slowly increased the temperature by one degree every 24 hours.
"As soon as his heart started beating normally everything began to improve. He had been really puffy because his kidneys weren`t working, but all of a sudden he looked like a normal baby again," Ives said.
A month later Ives and her husband Phillip were finally allowed to take him home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'