Dull hair, brittle nails mean bad health
California: Brittle nails, dull hair or a crease in one of the earlobes - these are some of the many signs thrown up by your body to indicate something is amiss with your health, according to an American expert.
Appearing on The Early Show on Saturday Morning , on CBS News , Dr. Holly Phillips said these signs could signify underlying medical problems that need attention.
She said it’s ‘incredibly important’ to carefully check your body for such indicators and recognize subtle changes.
Phillips advises people to check their body head-to-to for any tell-tale signs.
Eyebrows: If you notice you’re losing the hairs on the outer corners or they appear to be shortening, that could be a sign of low thyroid hormone.
Eyelids: Tiny yellow bumps in the inner-corner of the eye could actually be fatty deposits -- an important sign of high cholesterol.
Eyes: If you notice they seem to be bulging, that could be a sign of an overactive thyroid. If the white part of the eye starts to yellow, you may have liver disease or problems with your gall bladder. Some medications could also cause this.
Hair: Dryness and brittleness could be a thyroid problem or a sign of iron deficiency. Premature graying is a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency. And sudden hair loss is often a sign of too much stress.
Earlobes: A diagonal crease in the earlobe is easy to miss, but may be significant. A large National Institutes of Health study suggested that a diagonal crease in the earlobes could be linked to heart attack risk; it may have to do with blocked circulation throughout the body. So if you have it, or even if you don’t, we should all be screened.
Which body signals are most alarming to patients but for the most part harmless?
I’m often asked about bruising -- many patients worry that they bruise too easily, and usually, they’re just fine. Bruising happens more as we age -- the capillaries are naturally weaker and the bruises take longer to heal. Women bruise more than men. But you shouldn’t ignore it, if you notice you’re bruising a lot more than usual, it could be an early sign of leukemia, or a reaction to medications.
Varicose veins and spider veins: They’re usually just heredity -- you have them or you don’t. Sudden weight gain or loss can also trigger them. If they develop seemingly overnight and you have calf swelling or tenderness, it could be a blood clot (deep-vein thrombosis) -- a medical emergency. And spider veins on your abdomen could be a sign of liver disease.
Finger Nails: Dry, brittle nails could be a sign of thyroid disease or an iron or vitaminB12 deficiency. Horizontal lines are a sign of heart disease -- or heart failure. Yellow or brown nails could be from a fungal infection or even lung disease such as emphysema.
But again, we’re looking for a change: If you’ve always had (a possible sign such as) dry nails, it’s probably just how you are. But if you notice your nails are changing it could be an issue.
Male breasts: Men often ignore small, painless lumps on the chest or underarm area, but actually, two percent of breast cancers occur in men, so they should stay on the lookout.
How do I know whether I am a hypochondriac?
If you spend a large part of each day worrying about many different potential health problems, and if discussion with friends, family and doctors doesn’t calm you down, you may have an issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow