Found! Cells that drive brain`s adaptability
Tel Aviv: Glia cells, derived from the Greek word for glue, hold the brain`s neurons (cells) together and protect the cells that determine our thoughts and behaviours.
Researchers say that glia cells, which had long puzzled scientists, are central to the brain`s adaptability, learning and information storage.
Actually, glia cells do much more than hold the brain together, says doctoral student Maurizio De Pittà of Tel Aviv University (TAU) Schools of Physics and Astronomy and Electrical Engineering. A mechanism within the glia cells also sorts information for learning purposes, the journal Public Library of Science reports.
"Glia cells are like the brain`s supervisors. By regulating the synapses (junctions of nerve cells), they control the transfer of information between neurons, affecting how the brain processes information and learns," De Pitta adds, according to a Tel Aviv statement.
De Pittà`s research, supervised by Eshel Ben-Jacob, along with Vladislav Volman of the Salk Institute and the University of California-San Diego and Hugues Berry of the Universite de Lyon in France, has developed the first computer model that incorporates the influence of glia cells on synaptic information transfer.
The model can also be implemented in technologies based on brain networks such as microchips and computer software, says Ben-Jacob says, a professor and aid in research on brain disorders such as Alzheimer`s disease and epilepsy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP