Girls mature faster than boys due to early brain re-organizing
Zee News Bureau
London: Our brains undergo major reorganisation reducing the connections in the brain as we grow older and this re-organizing starts earlier in girls during their teenage year, according to a new study.
Scientists think this might be the reason why girls mature faster than boys.
Dr Marcus Kaiser and Sol Lim from Newcastle University found that while overall connections in the brain get streamlined, long-distance connections that are crucial for integrating information are preserved.
The researchers suspect this newly-discovered selective process might explain why brain function does not deteriorate - and indeed improves -during this pruning of the network. Interestingly, they also found that these changes occurred earlier in females than in males.
"Long-distance connections are difficult to establish and maintain but are crucial for fast and efficient processing," said Dr Kaiser, Reader in Neuroinformatics at Newcastle University.
He said that if one thinks about a social network, nearby friends might give you very similar information - you might hear the same news from different people.
Kaiser asserted that people from different cities or countries are more likely to give you novel information. In the same way, some information flow within a brain module might be redundant whereas information from other modules, say integrating the optical information about a face with the acoustic information of a voice is vital in making sense of the outside world.
The researchers at Newcastle, Glasgow and Seoul Universities evaluated the scans of 121 healthy participants between the ages of 4 and 40 years as this is where the major connectivity changes can be seen during this period of maturation and improvement in the brain. The work is part of the EPSRC-funded Human Green Brain project which examines human brain development.
The findings are set to be published in the Cerebral Cortex.
(With Agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference