Got a migraine? Get a `brow-lift`!
London: Doctors in the UK seem to have found a unique solution for migraines – a brow lift – and a Brit woman is the first one to have undergone the treatment.
Penny Radcliffe had the surgery, normally carried out as a cosmetic procedure to reduce wrinkles, and she has not had a single headache or dizzy spell.
Her surgeon removed part of the ‘frown’ muscle, the corrugator, just above each eyelid. Migraines are often caused by this muscle contracting and putting pressure on the surrounding trigeminal nerve.
After making five small incisions in her hairline above her forehead, he then drilled down to the bone and cut away the parts of the muscle, which were closest to the nerve and likely to be triggering her migraine.
“The muscle is similar to an elastic band. We cut a small section around the nerve to reduce the pressure,” The Daily Mail quoted Cosmetic surgeon John Pereira as saying.
Radcliffe is ecstatic.
“I feel fantastic. I’ve got my life back and I have so much more energy,” she said.
However, surgeons warn that it would work only for those whose attacks are caused by the corrugator muscle pressing on the nerve.
Norman Waterhouse, former president of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, said, “This is not a miracle cure. It does not mean that everyone who has got a migraine will be better by having muscles taken out.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today