ICMR proposes guidelines to lower cervical cancer mortality

Last Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 15:29

Hyderabad: Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) came up with guidelines aiming to reduce mortality due to cervical cancer.

A 14-member task force, headed by Dr G K Rath, HoD, Oncology at AIIMS, Delhi confabulated on the guidelines at the meeting held at the Indo American Cancer and Research Institute here.

The ICMR guidelines came in the backdrop of the oncologists in the country following directions by the US-based National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) which are vastly different from Indian scenario.

The meeting basically discussed the protocols to be set as per the Indian requirements keeping the socio-economic factor. These guidelines will be sent to various institutions across India for feedback.

Dr Rath said on the occasion that non-communicable diseases like cancer are emerging as killers and underlined the need for early diagnosis.

The aim of the Task force is to ensure there are lesser deaths due to cervix cancer. Presently only 20 percent cases are being reported in first and second stage of cancer where the chances of cure are 80 percent. The task force wants to ensure that there are more number of cases reported in first and second stage itself through education, he said.

After formulating the guidelines the same will be submitted to ICMR for fine tuning after which it will be implemented.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 15:28

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus