Inflammation in the brain doesn`t trigger Alzheimer`s
Washington: Turning the long held belief regarding Alzheimer`s disease on its head, an Indian-origin researcher has found that inflammation in the brain is not the trigger that leads to build-up of amyloid deposits and development of the neurodegenerative disorder.
In fact, researchers at the Mayo Clinic campus in Florida have said that the inflammation in turn helps clear the brain of these noxious amyloid plaques early in the disease development.
The researchers, led by Dr. Pritam Das, an assistant professor in the Department of Neuroscience, conducted their studies in mice that are predisposed to the disorder.
"This is the opposite of what most people who study Alzheimer`s disease, including our research group, believed. And it also suggests that we can take advantage of the brain`s own immune cells by directing them to remove amyloid plaques from the brain, thus protecting the brain against their harmful effects," said Das.
The study tested the widely held belief that inflammation in the brain increases the production and build-up of a toxic protein known as amyloid beta (Aß), which characterise Alzheimer`s.
"We had initiated these studies using our new in vivo model to confirm whether inducing inflammation in the brain would in fact exacerbate the disease," Dr. Das says.
The researchers used a technique known as ‘Somatic Brain Transgenesis to increase expression of Interleukin-6 (IL-6), a cytokine that stimulates an inflammatory immune response in the brains of young mice predisposed to developing age-progressive amyloid plaques.
They found that IL-6 triggered inflammation throughout the brain, and they expected to see a big buildup of plaque as well as damage to brain neurons.
"Instead, to our surprise, we found that the inflammation prevented plaques from forming and cleared whatever plaque that was already there," said Das.
The study has been published in the online issue of the FASEB Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH