Kids close to pets connect better with people
New York: If your kid has a strong emotional attachment with pets, be sure she would grow to become a better and sensitive human being.
Young adults who care for an animal may have stronger social relationships and connection to their communities, says new research.
“Our findings suggest that it may not be whether an animal is present in an individual’s life that is most significant but rather the quality of that relationship,” said Megan Mueller, a developmental psychologist and research assistant professor at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University.
“The young adults who had strong attachment to pets reported feeling more connected to their communities and relationships,” added Mueller.
Mueller surveyed over 500 participants aged 18-26 and predominately female about their attitudes and interaction with animals.
Those responses were indexed against responses the same participants had given on a range of questions that measure positive youth development characteristics such as competence, caring, confidence, connection, character and feelings of depression.
Young adults who cared for animals reported engaging in more “contribution” activities, such as providing service to their community, helping friends or family and demonstrating leadership, than those who did not.
The more actively they participated in the pet’s care, the higher the contribution scores.
“We can’t draw causal links with this study but it is a promising starting point to better understanding the role of animals in our lives, especially when we are young,” said Mueller.
The study also found that high levels of attachment to an animal in late adolescence and young adulthood were positively associated with feeling connected with other people, having empathy and feeling confident.
The study was published in the journal Applied Developmental Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader