Kids exposed to poor parenting likelier to get bullied
Washington: Children who are exposed to negative parenting, including abuse, neglect and even overprotection, are at higher risk of experiencing bullying by their peers, a research has claimed.
The research - a meta-analysis of 70 studies of more than 200,000 children- led by the University of Warwick, found that the effects of poor parenting were stronger for kids who are both a victim and perpetrator of bulling (bully-victims) than children who were solely victims.
The research found that negative or harsh parenting was linked to a modest increase in the risk of being a "bully-victim" and a small increase in the risk of becoming a victim of bullying. In contrast, warm but firm parenting reduced the risk of being bullied by peers.
Study author, Professor Dieter Wolke, said that the long shadow of bullying falls well beyond the school playground and has lasting and profound effects into adulthood.
He said that the team knew that victims and bully-victim s are more likely to develop physical health problems, suffer from anxiety and depression and are also at increased risk of self-harm and suicide.
He asserted that it is vital that people understand more about the factors linked to bullying in order to reduce the burden it places on the affected children and society.
The study categorised behaviours like abuse/neglect, maladaptive parenting and overprotection as negative parenting behaviour.
The research also categorised authoritative parenting, parent-child communication, parental involvement and support, supervision and warmth and affection as positive parenting behaviours.
The research has been published in the journal Child Abuse and Neglect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands