Lizard venom can treat high blood pressure
Washington: Scientists claim to have found evidence that newly discovered venoms from `anguimorph` lizards contain toxins which can be used to treat high blood
pressure levels in people.
For its research, an international team, led by Dr Bryan Fry of University of Melbourne examined the unexplored group of venomous lizards called anguimorphs -- a group that
includes monitor, alligator and legless lizards.
"We only recently discovered that venom in lizards was not restricted to the gila monster and beaded lizard, but it is in fact much more widespread - so we set out to examine
this unique group, and discovered completely novel toxins.
"We showed a great diversity of toxins in anguimorph venoms. The drug design potential of these novel venoms is highlighted by the fact that three of these new toxins act to lower blood pressure," Dr Fry said.
The research took four years to complete and involved collecting venom from lizards all over the world, followed by complex laboratory studies to analyse the exact properties of
"It was a huge undertaking but the result is well worth the effort - we have discovered completely novel venoms, and shed light on evolution of venom systems in animals.
"The results obtained highlight the importance of utilising evolution-based search strategies for biodiscovery and emphasise the largely untapped drug design and development potential of lizard venoms," Dr Fry said.
The findings have been published in the `Journal of Molecular and Cellular Proteomics`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand