‘Mothers curse’ responsible for male infertility
Melbourne: A new study in fruit flies has found that genetic mutations in mitochondria, inherited from the mother, are an important cause of male infertility.
"What we`ve uncovered here is an evolutionary process that can explain why male infertility is so common," said evolutionary biologist Dr Damian Dowling of Monash University in Melbourne.
"Our study is essentially the first evidence for the ``mothers curse,`` added Dowling.
Dowling and colleagues carried out an experiment to test this "mothers curse" idea.
They gathered mitochondrial DNA from a diverse range of fruit flies around the world and inserted it into flies that had identical nuclear DNA.
They found that the different mitochondrial DNA affected the expression of about a 1000 nuclear genes in males, but had no effect on the same genes in females.
"The maternal transmission of the mitochondrial genome results in a process which we call the sex-specific selective sieve - mutations are getting through the sieve of natural selection," said Dowling.
"The top 300 of these differentially expressed genes are located within the male testes or in the glands that are responsible for producing the ejaculate," said Dowling.
"It basically points firmly at the idea that males harbour this load of mutations within the mitochondria that are all teaming up to effect male fertility in a detrimental way,” added Dowling.
The study has been published in the journal Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire