New device to `shorten rehab time` for stroke patients by improving motor skills
Washington: In an attempt to give stroke patients a higher quality of life, scientists have built a new rehabilitation device that will allow patients to achieve an additional level of recovery and shorten their rehab period.
Vivek Prabhakaran, from the University of Wisconsin-Madison , along with co-principal investigator Justin Williams and a team, built the new rehabilitation device by pairing a functional electrical stimulation (FES) system, which is currently used to help stroke patients recover limb function, and a brain control interface (BCI), which provides a direct communication pathway between the brain and this peripheral stimulation device.
In an FES system, electrical currents are used to activate nerves in paralyzed extremities.
Using a computer and an electrode cap placed on the head, the new BCI-FES device, called the Closed-Loop Neural Activity-Triggered Stroke Rehabilitation Device, interprets electrical impulses from the brain and transmits the information to the FES.
Dr. Prabhakaran said that FES is a passive technique in that the electrical impulses move the patients' extremities for them.
When a patient using the device is asked to imagine or attempt to move his or her hand, the BCI translates that brain activity to a signal that triggers the FES, Dr. Prabhakaran said.
Dr. Prabhakaran said that their system adds an active component to the rehabilitation by linking brain activity to the peripheral stimulation device, which gives the patients direct control over their movement.
He added that his team hopes that the device not only shortens rehabilitation time for stroke patients, but also that it brings a higher level of recovery than is achievable with the current standard of care.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill