New pain-free needles for blood tests
New Delhi: Patients no longer need put off blood tests for fear of painful needle prick. Butterfly needles are here, making blood collection a pain-free exercise.
The high-end technology needles, unveiled by an NCR-based pathology diagnostic centre, are a relatively pain-free tool for collecting blood from patients - especially those who are hypersensitive to pain, have syringe phobia, children, newborn babies, or have very fragile or small veins.
Elaborating, Dr B.R. Das of the Delhi-based SRL Diagnostics Limited pointed out that accessing the vein is not always easy in certain cases. Newborn babies and children have very thin and superficial veins; older or geriatric patients often have with tremors, some combative patients are aggressive), and for some patients it may be necessary to draw blood from the back of the hand.
When the butterfly needle is inserted into the vein, a 'flash’ can be seen. The ‘flash’ is a small amount of blood that flows into the hub connected to the needle when the needle enters a vein. This gives the lab technician an assurance he is “in” the vein. The butterfly needle is typically held by folding the ‘wings’ and then placed into the vein generally at a shallow angle.
Normally, the technician has used what is called a "vacutainer" where the blood is drawn through a needle into a tube which has vacuum with the appropriate material to prevent the blood from clotting in certain cases.
The butterfly needles serve another purpose of safeguarding the lab technicians from accidental needle stick injuries that are a crisis in the healthcare systems around the globe. Therefore, safer blood drawing devices like butterfly needles help mitigate the dangers of needle stick injuries during routine blood draws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says