New surgical technique for fractures gaining popularity
Mumbai: A new less-complicated orthopaedic spine surgical procedure called Balloon Kyphoplasty is proving to be the most suitable option to treat
Vertebral Compression Fractures (VCFs) that occur as a complication of osteoporosis, cancer or trauma.
Balloon Kyphoplasty is gaining popularity for offering
an effective treatment to fix spine injuries with negligibly
low complication rate, Dr Ram Chaddha, Orthopaedic Surgeon,
Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre, told reporters here.
The surgical procedure, currently available at select
Indian hospitals, repairs the fracture and can offer immediate
pain relief, a rapid return to daily activities and improved
quality of life, he said.
"Balloon Kyphoplasty cannot always be used to help
every type of VCF. Only a trained doctor can decide if the
procedure is right for the patient," he said.
This procedure uses two orthopaedic balloons, inserted
through one centimetre incisions. The balloons are gently
inflated inside the fractured vertebrae to gently raise the
patient`s collapsed bone to its pre-fractured height, creating
a void inside the vertebral body.
"After deflating and removing the balloons, the void
is filled with viscous bone cement in a controlled manner
under low manual pressure," Chaddha said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read