Now, remote sensing to kill prostate cancer
London: Remote sensing is helping a new radiotherapy treatment combat prostate cancer.
The revolutionary technique has already been used on dozens of patients at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London.
Because it only pinpoints cancer cells, it could impart a cutting edge to radiotherapy for thousands of men and save them from the unpleasant side-effects, the Daily Mail reported Tuesday.
The therapy works by using three tiny transmitters, the size of a rice grain, implanted in the tumour. They give off a constant stream of signals, up to 10 a second, that are picked up by a receiver in X-ray equipment.
This tracks the signals in much the same way that satellites in space pick up readings from a moving car. The same machine also delivers radiotherapy.
The new technology means the radioactive beam can be aimed precisely at the prostate tumour, avoiding the `collateral damage` that can occur with existing radiotherapy treatments.
One of the first signs of prostate cancer can be frequent urination, as the tumour presses on the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the body).
In severe cases, treatment can include major surgery to remove the prostate, a procedure that can leave men incontinent and unable to achieve an erection.
One of the major problems with radiotherapy is that the slightest movement during treatment means radiation can penetrate healthy tissue.
But the new device, called the Calypso System, is smart enough to detect when the tumour has moved as little as a millimetre off-course and instantly turns off the radioactive beam.
A second or two later, when it senses that the tumour is back within range, it automatically turns the beam on.
The company behind it, Seattle-based Calypso Medical Technologies, predicts it could help other tumours, such as breast cancer.
Every year, nearly 32,000 cases of prostate cancer are diagnosed and 10,000 men die from it in Britain. The risks increase with age, with men over 50 more likely to develop a tumour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!