Oestrogen ``can cut breast cancer risk``
Washington: Oestrogen can reduce the risk of breast cancer, says a team of researchers at CIC bioGUNE.
Their work shows that oestrogen is capable of reducing the number of breast cancer stem cells, which may explain the lower aggression of the tumour and, as a consequence, the possibility of a better prognosis.
The research combined the use of human samples and laboratory cell lines.
Oestrogen is a hormone which is not without its complexity; on the one hand it is essential for the normal development and functioning of the breast and, on the other, this same hormone induces the proliferation of cancer cells once the breast tumour has appeared, i.e. oestrogen is also a risk factor in breast cancer.
However, nothing or little has been known until now about the effect of oestrogen on the tumour-initiating cells.
It had also been proposed that the number of cancerous stem cells is correlated with the aggressiveness of the tumour: The greater the percentage of breast cancer stem cells, the greater the aggressiveness and the worse, thereby, its prognosis.
"To our surprise, what we have seen is that oestrogen reduces the proportion of breast stem cells which means a mechanism for explaining this better prognosis observed with tumours that express the oestrogen receptor. That is, those tumours expressing the oestrogen receptor are less aggressive, better differentiated and thus have a better prognosis", explained María Vivanco, leader of the research team.
The project was published in Breast Cancer Research and Treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH