Repeated painkiller use linked to hepatitis
Melbourne: Doctors have indicated that a painkiller commonly used in hospitals and ambulances may be causing hepatitis, especially in patients who receive multiple doses.
Three doctors Kacey O`Rourke, Stuart McMaster and Karin Lust reported that a 33-year-old Brisbane woman appeared to have developed hepatitis from three doses of the drug known as methoxyflurane or Penthrox.
She was given the drug during treatment to repair varicose veins and had no family history of liver disease or other known risk factors that could explain her illness.
The doctors also said similar cases of hepatitis after methoxyflurane had been found in women who had received the drug during labour.
Given the drug is widely used, the Royal Brisbane and Women`s Hospital doctors said it was important for health professionals to know that repeated exposure could increase the risk of hepatitis. They also urged practitioners to report similar cases in future and to consider the drug as a possible cause of hepatitis in patients without any known risk factors.
Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver and can be caused by viruses, alcohol, drugs and other toxins or less commonly by a breakdown in a person`s immune system. There are five viruses that specifically cause hepatitis and it can be either an acute or chronic illness with varying recovery times.
The case has been reported in the Medical Journal of Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla