Sunbed eyesight failure warning issued
London: Sunbed-lovers are more likely to have poor eyesight if they fail to wear protective goggles or shades, experts have warned.
According to the College of Optometrists, UV damage caused by bright sunbed lamps can result long-term problems and growths in the eyes.
The College has recommended people to wear goggles or "winkies" provided by tanning salons.
"The skin on the eyelid is very thin and delicate so it’s vital to protect this area from UV rays," the Daily Express quoted Susan Blakeney, optometric adviser, as saying.
"Whilst we do not advocate the use of sunbeds, if you do use them it is important to ensure that you always use protective eye wear - as you would wear sunglasses when outside - to safeguard your eyes from UV rays.
Avoiding wearing goggles or ``winkies`` whilst using a sunbed can lead to benign eye growths called pterygium," she said.
" Repeated exposure to UV may cause long-term damage which could affect sight in later life. We only have one pair of eyes, so if you want to safeguard your sight, always ensure you wear the proper protection whether on the sunbed or in the sun," she added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!