UV radiation bouncing off eyes may cause skin cancer
Sydney: Ultraviolet radiation bouncing off eyes may be causing higher than average rates of skin cancer on the nose.
Benjamin Birt, who recently did his PhD at the Queensland University of Technology, Australia, found that high rates of skin cancer on the sides of the nose could be due to ultraviolet (UV) radiation rays reflected off the eye.
"All surfaces reflect a certain amount of radiation, our eyes are no different," he said.
Birt said the incidence of basal cell carcinoma (BCC), the most commonly occurring skin cancer in sub-tropical climates, was significantly higher on the side of the nose than other parts of the face and neck which were more directly exposed to sunlight.
In order to study the reflection of UV rays off the eye, Birt made a cast of the front surface of his own eyeball, according to a Queensland University release.
He said this shape was then scanned into a model for a ray tracing computer program which simulated rays reflecting off the eye from a range of sun angles.
"I discovered that the curved shape of the eye created a focussing effect, producing UV hot spots on the side of the nose," he said.
"It is a possible explanation as to the high rates of skin cancers found on the nose."
Birt said the reflected rays hit predominately between the tear duct and the bridge of the nose.
"The next step is to study a much greater range of facial shapes and radiation angles than possible with the existing model," he said.
"Good wraparound sunglasses reduce the amount of UV radiation reaching the eye from all angles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM