UV rays helps skin cancer cells survive, proliferate
Washington: Researchers have reported that the sun`s ultraviolet light activates an enzyme that helps skin cancer cells survive and proliferate.
Research by Dr. Wendy Bollag, corresponding author of the study shows that UV`s ill effects are cumulative and dose dependent: more UV exposure equals more activity by the enzyme protein kinase D. That`s another wakeup call about excess sun exposure particularly as we age, Bollag said, and an indicator that protein kinase D inhibitors, already under development for other cancers, may also work for skin cancer.
Skin cells normally make protein kinase D to help regulate growth needed to replace cells that are constantly sloughing off.
"The skin has to continually divide to replace cells that get lost to the environment," Bollag said.
Even something as benign as wearing clothes prompts skin cell loss and the constant demand for new ones.
"So, protein kinase D is good under normal conditions, when it`s regulated appropriately. But what can happen is it starts misbehaving," Bollag said.
Its increased activity enables skin cells to survive the constant onslaught of UV radiation, which can be good or bad.
"If the damage caused by UV is relatively minor, so the cell can repair it, that`s good. You wouldn`t want to walk across the street, your skin gets hit by UV, all the cells die and your skin sloughs off," Bollag said.
The downside is that by promoting cell survival, protein kinase D can enable skin cells with a lot of DNA damage to become cancerous by reducing the natural ability of badly damaged skin cells to self-destruct, the researchers show.
Bollag`s laboratory previously found that protein kinase D was upregulated in basal cell carcinoma, a common non-melanoma skin cancer. Since sun exposure is the greatest risk factor for basal cell carcinoma, they suspected the link between ultraviolet radiation and protein kinase D.
Now they also have found that pretreating skin cells with antioxidants appears to reduce protein kinase D activation by UV, indicating that reactive oxygen species, or free radicals, also play a role. Free radicals can result from excessive cell activity or oxygen use.
The report has been published in Oncogene.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'