Extreme weight loss may lead to `diet brain` and mood swings
London: Women who resort to extreme weight loss methods experience ‘diet brain’, leaving them depressed, agitated and forgetful, experts have warned.
As a result of this condition, four out of ten women surveyed admitted their marriage or relationship had suffered, while a quarter said their performance at work had also been blighted.
One in three women admitted ‘diet brain’ had made them obsessed with losing weight, while 55 per cent said their desperation to be slimmer had left them feeling low, according to the survey of 2,000 British women.
And the condition - which is brought on by extreme dieting - can prevent many from reaching their target weight.
Nutritionist Linda O’Byrne, who helped collate information from the survey said those who suffer from ‘diet brain’ are not slimming correctly.
“If you find yourself suffering from ‘diet brain’ then the reality is that you are not slimming down correctly and you need to take action to alter the situation,” the Daily Mail quoted O’Byrne as saying.
“It is very worrying to discover that dieting has affected large numbers of women’s relationships and even their jobs, this is not how it should be.
“A weight loss program should form part of a healthy living regime and should never be extreme,” she suggested.
A quarter of women polled said they felt hungry all the time when on a diet and one in six said slimming made them miserable.
Only 15 per cent said they felt more positive due to dieting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India