Extreme weight loss may lead to `diet brain` and mood swings
London: Women who resort to extreme weight loss methods experience ‘diet brain’, leaving them depressed, agitated and forgetful, experts have warned.
As a result of this condition, four out of ten women surveyed admitted their marriage or relationship had suffered, while a quarter said their performance at work had also been blighted.
One in three women admitted ‘diet brain’ had made them obsessed with losing weight, while 55 per cent said their desperation to be slimmer had left them feeling low, according to the survey of 2,000 British women.
And the condition - which is brought on by extreme dieting - can prevent many from reaching their target weight.
Nutritionist Linda O’Byrne, who helped collate information from the survey said those who suffer from ‘diet brain’ are not slimming correctly.
“If you find yourself suffering from ‘diet brain’ then the reality is that you are not slimming down correctly and you need to take action to alter the situation,” the Daily Mail quoted O’Byrne as saying.
“It is very worrying to discover that dieting has affected large numbers of women’s relationships and even their jobs, this is not how it should be.
“A weight loss program should form part of a healthy living regime and should never be extreme,” she suggested.
A quarter of women polled said they felt hungry all the time when on a diet and one in six said slimming made them miserable.
Only 15 per cent said they felt more positive due to dieting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming