Extreme weight loss may lead to `diet brain` and mood swings
London: Women who resort to extreme weight loss methods experience ‘diet brain’, leaving them depressed, agitated and forgetful, experts have warned.
As a result of this condition, four out of ten women surveyed admitted their marriage or relationship had suffered, while a quarter said their performance at work had also been blighted.
One in three women admitted ‘diet brain’ had made them obsessed with losing weight, while 55 per cent said their desperation to be slimmer had left them feeling low, according to the survey of 2,000 British women.
And the condition - which is brought on by extreme dieting - can prevent many from reaching their target weight.
Nutritionist Linda O’Byrne, who helped collate information from the survey said those who suffer from ‘diet brain’ are not slimming correctly.
“If you find yourself suffering from ‘diet brain’ then the reality is that you are not slimming down correctly and you need to take action to alter the situation,” the Daily Mail quoted O’Byrne as saying.
“It is very worrying to discover that dieting has affected large numbers of women’s relationships and even their jobs, this is not how it should be.
“A weight loss program should form part of a healthy living regime and should never be extreme,” she suggested.
A quarter of women polled said they felt hungry all the time when on a diet and one in six said slimming made them miserable.
Only 15 per cent said they felt more positive due to dieting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers
- Burhan Wani's father meets Sri Sri Ravi Shankar