Extreme weight loss may lead to `diet brain` and mood swings
London: Women who resort to extreme weight loss methods experience ‘diet brain’, leaving them depressed, agitated and forgetful, experts have warned.
As a result of this condition, four out of ten women surveyed admitted their marriage or relationship had suffered, while a quarter said their performance at work had also been blighted.
One in three women admitted ‘diet brain’ had made them obsessed with losing weight, while 55 per cent said their desperation to be slimmer had left them feeling low, according to the survey of 2,000 British women.
And the condition - which is brought on by extreme dieting - can prevent many from reaching their target weight.
Nutritionist Linda O’Byrne, who helped collate information from the survey said those who suffer from ‘diet brain’ are not slimming correctly.
“If you find yourself suffering from ‘diet brain’ then the reality is that you are not slimming down correctly and you need to take action to alter the situation,” the Daily Mail quoted O’Byrne as saying.
“It is very worrying to discover that dieting has affected large numbers of women’s relationships and even their jobs, this is not how it should be.
“A weight loss program should form part of a healthy living regime and should never be extreme,” she suggested.
A quarter of women polled said they felt hungry all the time when on a diet and one in six said slimming made them miserable.
Only 15 per cent said they felt more positive due to dieting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?