Minced beef, chicken pose most risks to health
Melbourne: Minced beef and chicken cause more hospitalisations than any other meat, an analysis of more than 33,000 cases of foodborne illness has shown.
The report by the US Centre for Science in Public Interest says chicken nuggets, ham and sausage pose the lowest risk of foodborne illness.
The group used US government data on 1700 outbreaks over 12 years to analyse salmonella, E. coli, listeria and other pathogens that were definitively linked to a certain meat.
To calculate which meats caused the most risk, CSPI ranked the foods in which contamination was most likely to cause hospitalisations.
Some meats may have had more illnesses but were less likely to cause severe illness.
After beef mince and chicken, CSPI categorised turkey and steak as "high risk" and deli meat, pork, roast beef and beef or pork barbeque as "medium risk".
Salmonella and E. coli, pathogens that contaminate meat and poultry during slaughter and processing, accounted for a third of the illnesses surveyed.
Clostridium perfringens, a lesser-known pathogen that usually grows after processing when foods are left at improper temperatures for too long by consumers or food establishments, accounted for another third.
While a large number of chicken illnesses were due to clostridium perfringens, chicken led to many hospitalisations partly because of the high incidence of salmonella in chicken that isn`t properly cooked.
Most of the beef mince illnesses were from E. coli, which is found in the intestinal tracts of cattle and can transfer to the carcass if the meat isn`t handled properly during slaughter.
Beef mince can be riskier than steak and other beef products because pathogens are spread during the grinding process.
According to the report, listeria , salmonella and E. coli required the most hospitalisations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Special: The UP village where religion does not preach hatred
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared to be declared today at 3PM