Omega-3 prevents osteoarthritis
London: Omega-3 in fish oil could "substantially and significantly" reduce the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis and slow its progression.
Omega-3-rich diets fed to guinea pigs, which naturally develop osteoarthritis, reduced disease by 50 percent compared to a standard diet, according to a University of Bristol study.
Omega-3 fatty acids, either sourced from fish oil or flax oil, may help to slow down the progression of osteoarthritis, or even prevent it from occurring, confirming "old wives` tales" about the benefits of fish oil for joint health, the journal Osteoarthritis and Cartilage reports.
John Tarlton, from the University of Bristol`s School of Veterinary Sciences, who led the study, said typical symptoms, such as the degradation of collagen in cartilage and the loss of molecules that give it shock-absorbing properties, were both reduced with Omega-3.
"Furthermore, there was strong evidence that Omega-3 influences the biochemistry of the disease, and therefore not only helps prevent disease but also slows its progression, potentially controlling established osteoarthritis," he said, according to a Bristol statement.
Tarlton added: "The only way of being certain that the effects of Omega-3 are as applicable to humans as demonstrated in guinea pigs is to apply Omega-3 to humans.
"Most diets in the developed world are lacking in Omega-3, with modern diets having up to 30 times too much Omega-6 and too little Omega-3.
"Taking Omega-3 will help redress this imbalance and may positively contribute to a range of other health problems such as heart disease and colitis," Tarlton concludes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata