White bread does boost `good` gut bacteria
London: This evening when you go to your neighbourhood store to buy groceries, add the much-maligned white bread to your list.
According to research, white bread helps encourage some of our body's most helpful inhabitants - beneficial gut bacteria - to grow.
Several studies have looked at the effects of individual fibres and probiotics.
But few researchers had investigated the role of polyphenols which are common in much of what we consume - spices, teas, fruits and vegetables - or how polyphenols and fibres together help balance our gut microbes.
Spanish researchers led by Sonia Gonzalez tried to fill this gap.
The team asked 38 healthy adults questions about their diets and figured out which bacteria were present in the participants' stool samples.
Their analysis revealed that pectin, a compound in citrus fruits, lowers the levels of some helpful bacteria.
This is contrary to previous research on pectin alone.
"Our most novel finding was that white bread boosted Lactobacillus, a group of beneficial bacteria," Gonzalez added.
In addition to this surprising find, the study also revealed that when looking at effects of food on our "microbiomes", considering the whole diet, not just individual ingredients, is critical.
The research, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation, was published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?