Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: We often feel scared and shocked at hearing if someone has been bitten by a snake. Well, have you ever thought what should be the first-aid given to such a person? We tell you what you must do when you are bitten by a venomous creature. Take a look:
Call the ambulance immediately.
Victim should stay calm and still as movement can cause the venom to move quickly through the body.
Clean the wound, but don't flush it with water.
Cover the wound with a clean, dry dressing.
One should remove jewellery and tight clothing before the infected area starts to swell.
Do not use a tourniquet or apply ice.
Do not cut into the wound or try to remove the venom.
Do not attempt to suck the venom out by mouth.
Do not use a cold compress on the bite.
Do not give the victim any medications unless directed by a doctor.
Do not raise the area of the bite above the victim’s heart.
Don't drink caffeine or alcohol, as it could speed the rate at which your body absorbs venom.