BJP legislator takes oath in Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: Bharatiya Janata Party`s newly-elected legislator from Himachal Pradesh`s Sujanpur, Narender Thakur, on Tuesday took the oath of office.
With this, the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party`s strength in the 68-member state Assembly has risen to 27. The ruling Congress is having a thin majority with 36 members, though it has roped in five Independents.
Speaker Brij Bihari Lal Butail administered the oath of office and secrecy to Thakur.
The Sujanpur Assembly seat fell vacant after Independent legislator Rajinder Rana resigned to contest the Lok Sabha election as a Congress candidate.
In the by-poll, Thakur defeated Congress candidate and Rana`s wife Anita by a slender margin of 538 votes.
"I had earlier contested elections on the BJP and the Congress tickets and even as an Independent. But this my first success. I will try to strengthen the BJP," Thakur told reporters here after taking oath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- DNA : Today in History, 26th July, 2016