BJP legislator takes oath in Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: Bharatiya Janata Party`s newly-elected legislator from Himachal Pradesh`s Sujanpur, Narender Thakur, on Tuesday took the oath of office.
With this, the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party`s strength in the 68-member state Assembly has risen to 27. The ruling Congress is having a thin majority with 36 members, though it has roped in five Independents.
Speaker Brij Bihari Lal Butail administered the oath of office and secrecy to Thakur.
The Sujanpur Assembly seat fell vacant after Independent legislator Rajinder Rana resigned to contest the Lok Sabha election as a Congress candidate.
In the by-poll, Thakur defeated Congress candidate and Rana`s wife Anita by a slender margin of 538 votes.
"I had earlier contested elections on the BJP and the Congress tickets and even as an Independent. But this my first success. I will try to strengthen the BJP," Thakur told reporters here after taking oath.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan