BJP legislator takes oath in Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: Bharatiya Janata Party`s newly-elected legislator from Himachal Pradesh`s Sujanpur, Narender Thakur, on Tuesday took the oath of office.
With this, the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party`s strength in the 68-member state Assembly has risen to 27. The ruling Congress is having a thin majority with 36 members, though it has roped in five Independents.
Speaker Brij Bihari Lal Butail administered the oath of office and secrecy to Thakur.
The Sujanpur Assembly seat fell vacant after Independent legislator Rajinder Rana resigned to contest the Lok Sabha election as a Congress candidate.
In the by-poll, Thakur defeated Congress candidate and Rana`s wife Anita by a slender margin of 538 votes.
"I had earlier contested elections on the BJP and the Congress tickets and even as an Independent. But this my first success. I will try to strengthen the BJP," Thakur told reporters here after taking oath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- TMC govt cracks down on 'Narayani Sena', bans training camps in Cooch Behar district
- Brazil police say IOC's Patrick Hickey discussed illegal ticket sales
- TCS settles Orange County lawsuit for $26 mn; shares down
- Turkish military, US-led coalition launch major operation in northern Syria - officials
- US condemns North Korea missile test-fire, calls it 'provocation'