Cong stages walkout in HP over police lathicharge on workers
Shimla: Opposition Congress on Monday staged a
walkout in Himachal Pradesh assembly over police lathicharge
on its workers during a recent protest rally in which at least
12 persons were injured.
As the House assembled for the day, Leader of the
Opposition Vidya Stokes requested the Speaker Tulsi Ram to
immediately take up adjournment notice given by Congress
members G R Mussafir and others on police lathicharge on
Congress workers on Friday last.
The Speaker said he got the notice this morning only
which had been sent to the state government for its comments.
Since no reply has come from the government he could not
give any ruling on the matter, he said and urged the Congress
MLAs to wait till then.
But, dissatisfied with the Speaker`s comments all
Congress legislators stood up and insisted on suspending the
question hour in favour of the adjournment notice on a very
However, as the Speaker did not relent, the Congress MLAs
walked out raising anti-government slogans.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal was not present in
the House as he had gone to Una for some official function.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister J P Nadda condemned the
Congress for protesting the Chair`s decision.
The state government is not running away from anything
and is prepared to discuss any issue, Nadda said and urged
them to let the House run smoothly.
At least 12 agitationists were injured in police
lathicharge on Congress workers at the end of their protest
rally against price rise and other issues on April 9 near the
While the Congress leaders have alleged that
the lathicharge was `unprovoked` and was `planned` at the
behest of the state government, Shimla Superintendent of
Police R M Sharma has attributed use of force to Congressmen
breaking police barricades and hurling stones on policemen in
a bid to enter into the assembly at the end of the rally.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!