Cong stages walkout in HP over police lathicharge on workers
Shimla: Opposition Congress on Monday staged a
walkout in Himachal Pradesh assembly over police lathicharge
on its workers during a recent protest rally in which at least
12 persons were injured.
As the House assembled for the day, Leader of the
Opposition Vidya Stokes requested the Speaker Tulsi Ram to
immediately take up adjournment notice given by Congress
members G R Mussafir and others on police lathicharge on
Congress workers on Friday last.
The Speaker said he got the notice this morning only
which had been sent to the state government for its comments.
Since no reply has come from the government he could not
give any ruling on the matter, he said and urged the Congress
MLAs to wait till then.
But, dissatisfied with the Speaker`s comments all
Congress legislators stood up and insisted on suspending the
question hour in favour of the adjournment notice on a very
However, as the Speaker did not relent, the Congress MLAs
walked out raising anti-government slogans.
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal was not present in
the House as he had gone to Una for some official function.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister J P Nadda condemned the
Congress for protesting the Chair`s decision.
The state government is not running away from anything
and is prepared to discuss any issue, Nadda said and urged
them to let the House run smoothly.
At least 12 agitationists were injured in police
lathicharge on Congress workers at the end of their protest
rally against price rise and other issues on April 9 near the
While the Congress leaders have alleged that
the lathicharge was `unprovoked` and was `planned` at the
behest of the state government, Shimla Superintendent of
Police R M Sharma has attributed use of force to Congressmen
breaking police barricades and hurling stones on policemen in
a bid to enter into the assembly at the end of the rally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested