FDI in retail won’t be allowed in Himachal: Dhumal
Shimla: The Himachal government will not implement FDI in the retail markets of the state as it will harm a large number of educated unemployed persons engaged in petty trades, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said on Friday.
In a letter written to Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Anand Sharma, Dhumal cleared the stand of the state government on the issue, an official release quoting him said.
A large number of educated unemployed were engaged in petty trades in Himachal and with the coming of FDI they would find difficult to ensure both ends meet, he said.
"FDI is not in the larger interest of the country", Dhumal said and requested Sharma to take into consideration the economic status of poor and down trodden in the country.
He expressed surprise over the statement made by Sharma about the stand taken by Himachal Pradesh government on FDI in the debate in the Lok Sabha and termed the same as concocted and contrary to the facts.
Sharma had never communicated with Himachal government at any level seeking consent about implementation of FDI in the state, Dhumal said.
The state government had been repeatedly requesting him to increase import duty on apples to protect the interests of apple growers but the same had not even been acknowledged, the Chief Minister said.
He said it was during NDA regime that besides increasing import duty various restrictions had been imposed upon import of apple, which benefited growers by fetching reasonable good price for their produce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Yuvraj Singh trolls R Ashwin for photobombing his picture with Virat Kohli – See pic!