FDI in retail won’t be allowed in Himachal: Dhumal
Shimla: The Himachal government will not implement FDI in the retail markets of the state as it will harm a large number of educated unemployed persons engaged in petty trades, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal said on Friday.
In a letter written to Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Anand Sharma, Dhumal cleared the stand of the state government on the issue, an official release quoting him said.
A large number of educated unemployed were engaged in petty trades in Himachal and with the coming of FDI they would find difficult to ensure both ends meet, he said.
"FDI is not in the larger interest of the country", Dhumal said and requested Sharma to take into consideration the economic status of poor and down trodden in the country.
He expressed surprise over the statement made by Sharma about the stand taken by Himachal Pradesh government on FDI in the debate in the Lok Sabha and termed the same as concocted and contrary to the facts.
Sharma had never communicated with Himachal government at any level seeking consent about implementation of FDI in the state, Dhumal said.
The state government had been repeatedly requesting him to increase import duty on apples to protect the interests of apple growers but the same had not even been acknowledged, the Chief Minister said.
He said it was during NDA regime that besides increasing import duty various restrictions had been imposed upon import of apple, which benefited growers by fetching reasonable good price for their produce.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!