Himachal Pradesh: 41 killed in two accidents
Shimla: Forty-one people, including 32 members of a marriage party, were killed and seven others were
injured in two separate accidents in Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh, police said on Thursday.
A canter carrying members of a marriage party from Chaura to Shekhpur plunged into a 300-feet deep gorge near Shekhpur at 12.30 am last night, killing 32 people.
While 30 people died on the spot, two persons succumbed to their injuries on way to hospital.
Five injured persons were rushed to RP Government Medical College, Tanda in Kangra while another injured person was taken to a hospital in Pathankot.
Chamba district police chief, Madhusudan, who was on the spot, said the truck was carrying about 40 people.
He said the injured persons have been rushed to the hospital while bodies of the deceased were being recovered from the gorge.
In another accident, nine persons, all employees of a company, were killed on the spot when a pick-up van rolled into a ditch near Bharmaur, 65-Km from Chamba last night.
The van was going to Bharmaur to drop the employees after the night shift.
Himachal Vidhan Sabha Speaker, who represents Bharmaur constituency, has expressed grief over the accident and asked the district administration to provide immediate relief to the affected families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof