North bears brunt of cold; seven dead in Himachal
New Delhi: North India continued to be under the grip of cold wave as temperatures remained below the normal levels in most parts of the region, while seven persons were killed in avalanches in Himachal Pradesh.
The national capital shivered due to the cold wave with the minimum temperature plummeting to 4.4 degrees Celsius, three notches below normal at this time of season.
Residents of Kashmir got a slight respite from the bitter cold conditions as the night temperatures across the Valley registered an increase of several degrees.
Most of the water bodies across the Valley, including the world famous Dal Lake, continued to be partially frozen.
The summer capital Srinagar, which recorded a low of minus 5.3 deg C yesterday, was warmer by two notches at minus of 3.2 deg C during the night, a Met Department spokesman said.
The minimum night temperature in Pahalgam, which serves as a base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra, was minus 7.0 deg C as compared to the previous night`s minus of 13.2 deg C, the spokesman said.
In Gulmarg, the minimum night temperature settled at minus 9.6 deg C.
Leh town in the cold desert of Ladakh showed a slight drop in the temperature with a low of minus 19.4 deg C, making it the coldest place in the state.
Himachal Pradesh reeled under cold wave conditions even as the region had a dry day with partially clouded sky.
Seven persons had been killed while 15 houses and apple orchards were damaged in avalanches in tribal Kinnaur district during past four days.
Avalanche threat loomed large over high altitude tribal areas and people have been advised not to venture out till the weather conditions improve.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!