Sunny but chilly weather in Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh saw a sunny Sunday morning but temperatures remained below the freezing point in many places. The Met Office here said such conditions would continue till Tuesday.
"It was a bright sunny day almost across the state and such conditions would continue till Tuesday," an official of the meteorological department here told a news agency.
He said the higher reaches in the state were freezing with Keylong, district headquarters town of Lahaul and Spiti, being the coldest at a minimum temperature of minus 7.6 degrees Celsius.
Kalpa in Kinnaur district saw a low of minus 3.8 degrees while the temperature was 1.6 degrees below freezing in Manali.
The state capital Shimla, which saw the season`s first snowfall Dec 14, saw a low of 2.3 degrees Celsius.
Shimla`s meteorological department director Manmohan Singh said popular tourist destinations like Shimla, Kasauli, Narkanda, Dharamsala, Palampur, Manali, Chamba and Dalhousie have been experiencing sunny days for the past over 10 days.
The popular tourist resort town of Narkanda, some 65 km from here, has good accumulation of snow, while Shimla, known for the imperial grandeur of buildings that were once institutions of power when it was the summer capital of British India, is totally bereft of snow.
Gulaba, 20 km from Manali, is under a thick blanket of snow. "Every day, hundreds of tourists are coming here to enjoy skiing, snow scooter rides and photography sessions against icicles," said Balbir Thakur, district tourism officer.
Manali experienced a moderate spell of snow Dec 16, but it melted within a few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31