Alarm bells in India! China to build 1,100 MW dam in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir on Jhelum river
New Delhi: Despite Indian government's strong objections, China has decided to go ahead with the construction of a mega dam in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) on the Jhelum river.
The China Three Gorges Corporation (CTGC), which built the Three Gorges Dam - the world's largest power station in terms of installed capacity - has decided to go ahead with the project in PoK despite India's strong objections.
According to a report published in 'India Today', the state-run hydropower company will construct the 1,100 MW Kohala hydropower dam on the Jhelum River, downstream from Muzaffarabad in PoK.
Last year in September, Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif inaugurated five tunnels on the key Karakoram Highway that connects the country with China.
According to a BBC report, these tunnels have been constructed by China over the Attabad Lake in Gilgit-Baltistan's Hunza valley. The project has been named as Pakistan-China Friendship Tunnels.
The seven kilometre long five tunnels are part of the 24km long portion of the Karakorum Highway (KKH) which was damaged six years ago.
Earlier, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had raised "very strongly" the issue of the China-Pakistan economic corridor during his visit to Beijing and told them that it is "unacceptable".
Chinese President Xi Jinping had announced the ambitious 3,000 km-long China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) during his visit to Pakistan in April, 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing