1.40 lakh pilgrims register for Amarnath Yatra
Srinagar: Nearly 1.40 lakh pilgrims have registered for this year`s Amarnath yatra to the holy cave shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas.
"Till yesterday, 1,37,096 pilgrims had registered themselves for this year`s Yatra. Over 70,000 have preferred the traditional Pahalgam route while 66,911 have opted for the shorter Baltal route," Chief Executive Officer Shri Amarnath Shrine Board Navin K Choudhary said here today.
He said 100 post offices across the country began registering the pilgrims from today.
The post offices will be registering the pilgrims in addition to internet based on-line facility.
The Board has been able to substantially expand the registration facility to a number of hitherto uncovered cities and towns, Choudhary said.
Consequently, a large number of intending Yatris will not have to travel long distance to register for the pilgrimage, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!