`Adopt fire protection measures at shrines`
New Delhi: A minority panel on Monday asked the Jammu and Kashmir government to institute adequate measures for fire protection of shrines of historical importance expressing deep sorrow over the gutting of the 200-year-old Sufi shrine of Peer Dastgir Sahib last week.
"The National Commission for Minorities has urged the state government of Jammu and Kashmir to institute adequate measures for fire protection of shrines of historical importance, all of which have wood structures," a release by the Ministry of Minority Affairs said.
The revered shrine in the old city of Srinagar was destroyed in a fire on June 25, triggering protests and clashes that left 50 people including 11 policemen injured.
The relics of the 11th century Muslim preacher, known as Ghaus-ul-Azam among the locals and revered worldwide, were, however, safe as these were retrieved from the fire-proof vault of the wooden shrine which was reduced to ashes. The relics contained a strand of hair from his beard and a skull cap.
"NCM has expressed deep sorrow over the incident of fire which engulfed the 200-year-old Sufi shrine of Peer Dastgir Sahib, a monument of prime religious and historical significance in Srinagar," the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick