`Adopt fire protection measures at shrines`
New Delhi: A minority panel on Monday asked the Jammu and Kashmir government to institute adequate measures for fire protection of shrines of historical importance expressing deep sorrow over the gutting of the 200-year-old Sufi shrine of Peer Dastgir Sahib last week.
"The National Commission for Minorities has urged the state government of Jammu and Kashmir to institute adequate measures for fire protection of shrines of historical importance, all of which have wood structures," a release by the Ministry of Minority Affairs said.
The revered shrine in the old city of Srinagar was destroyed in a fire on June 25, triggering protests and clashes that left 50 people including 11 policemen injured.
The relics of the 11th century Muslim preacher, known as Ghaus-ul-Azam among the locals and revered worldwide, were, however, safe as these were retrieved from the fire-proof vault of the wooden shrine which was reduced to ashes. The relics contained a strand of hair from his beard and a skull cap.
"NCM has expressed deep sorrow over the incident of fire which engulfed the 200-year-old Sufi shrine of Peer Dastgir Sahib, a monument of prime religious and historical significance in Srinagar," the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!
- Suspended Bihar BJP MLC Tunna Pandey sent to 12-day custody for molesting minor girl on train
- What a strong statement! Sushma Swaraj blasts Nawaz Sharif for delusional, dangerous Kashmir dream: READ top quotes