AI to begin regular air service to Kargil
Srinagar: In a major relief to the residents
of frontier Kargil district, Air India on Thursday agreed to operate
a regular air service to the region which usually remains cut
off during winters owing to closure of Srinagar-Leh National
highway due to heavy snowfall.
The announcement to start 45 seater aircraft service to
Kargil, 272 kms from here, was made by state Transport
minister Qamar Ali Akhoon after chairing a high level joint
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Ladakh Hill
Development Council Kargil AAK Kachoo and Srinagar Airport
Director Raj K Malik were prominent among those who attended
the meeting, which was convened to discuss modalities for
operating the proposed air service to Kargil.
An official spokesman said it was proposed that the air
service shall be run on the pattern of North Eastern Air
services to make it economically viable.
The basic infrastructure for the Air services including
meteorological support are already in place at the Kargil
airport, he said.
It was decided that the guidelines will be finalized at a
meeting with the Union Civil Aviation Minister and Airport
Authority of India officials at New Delhi shortly, the
Addressing the meeting, Akhoon highlighted the need for
operation of Civilian Air Service to and fro Kargil.
The proposed Air service would be feasible in view of
heavy rush of passengers especially during the winters when
the district remains cut off due to heavy snowfall, the
minister said, adding, on an average about 50 passengers will
avail the service.
The minister said the service, besides providing round
the year air connectivity to the passengers, would help to
exploit the tourism potential of the District Kargil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery