AI to begin regular air service to Kargil
Srinagar: In a major relief to the residents
of frontier Kargil district, Air India on Thursday agreed to operate
a regular air service to the region which usually remains cut
off during winters owing to closure of Srinagar-Leh National
highway due to heavy snowfall.
The announcement to start 45 seater aircraft service to
Kargil, 272 kms from here, was made by state Transport
minister Qamar Ali Akhoon after chairing a high level joint
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Ladakh Hill
Development Council Kargil AAK Kachoo and Srinagar Airport
Director Raj K Malik were prominent among those who attended
the meeting, which was convened to discuss modalities for
operating the proposed air service to Kargil.
An official spokesman said it was proposed that the air
service shall be run on the pattern of North Eastern Air
services to make it economically viable.
The basic infrastructure for the Air services including
meteorological support are already in place at the Kargil
airport, he said.
It was decided that the guidelines will be finalized at a
meeting with the Union Civil Aviation Minister and Airport
Authority of India officials at New Delhi shortly, the
Addressing the meeting, Akhoon highlighted the need for
operation of Civilian Air Service to and fro Kargil.
The proposed Air service would be feasible in view of
heavy rush of passengers especially during the winters when
the district remains cut off due to heavy snowfall, the
minister said, adding, on an average about 50 passengers will
avail the service.
The minister said the service, besides providing round
the year air connectivity to the passengers, would help to
exploit the tourism potential of the District Kargil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened