Amarnath yatra: Death toll touches 51
Srinagar: Four more pilgrims, including two women, died en route the Amarnath cave shrine in south Kashmir taking the toll in the ongoing yatra to 51, officials said here on Monday.
Fifty-year-old Jayanta Mukherjee, hailing from West Bengal, died of cardiac arrest at Sheshnag along the Pahalgam route, they said.
Another woman pilgrim Usha, a resident of Gujarat, died following cardiac arrest, the officials said.
Ram Chander Gupta, aged 55 years, and Chota Bhai Patel, hailing from Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat respectively, died on way to 3,880-ft high Amarnath shrine.
The annual Amarnath yatra commenced from the twin routes of Baltal and Pahalgam on June 25 and so far 3.15 lakh pilgrims had paid obeisance at the shrine housing the naturally-formed ice-lingam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj