Army destroys IED in Srinagar, averts tragedy
Srinagar: A major tragedy was averted on Sunday when Army detected and destroyed an improvised explosive device planted by militants in Handwara area of north Kashmir Kupwara district.
Troops of 47 Rashtriya Rifles detected the 15-kilogram IED planted by suspected militants but the roadside in Handwara, 85 kms from here, this morning, officials said.
They said a bomb disposal squad was rushed to the spot and the explosive was destroyed through a controlled explosion.
This is the second IED detected by militants in the past fortnight. A five-kg IED was detected and destroyed by army at Shalteng on Srinagar-Baramulla road on April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29